January 30, 2018

1.3 Ext4 filesystem with Forth

Only for purpose of fun, I searched for a way, to access a Linux ext4 filesystem in Forth. The first Google search was not very pleasant. It seems, that no one before has tried it out. But with a additional layer between both it seems possible. At first, we must know of how to access the ext4 filesystem in MS-Windows. This is done by an extensions like the Ext2IFS or ext4tc. The last one is a shareware program. And now we are searching for an operating system toolkit which provides such extensions for Forth. The name is “oskit” (university utah). According to the docs, it is possible to use this as a bridge between Forth and ext4. But how exactly this could be done is unclear. Usually, I would ask this question to the one and only Forth group “comp.lang.forth” But I'm afraid, that I wouldn't understand the answer. The last time I asked a question there, they give me a reference to a very advanced scientific paper, which shows me, that my knowledge about Forth is to small. Example On the oskit website is a demo available which shows how to read a Linux filesystem: http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/oskit/examples/linux_fs_com.c According to the documentation this is done with a COM interface. COM is an object oriented programming standard developed by Microsoft. As far as i understand the sourcecode, oskit is an operating system development kit for building different OS like Freebsd and Linux from scratch. It seems, that the project was cancelled in 2002. So it is unlikely that the modern ext4 filesystem is part of the project.